One of the most pleasant necessities in life, sleep doesn’t seem to entail too much stress. Until you start losing it.
The quantity of sleep is equal in importance to its quality, i.e., good sleeping conditions, which can make sleep quality higher, can bring about long hours of good sleep. It’s a win-win situation. If you’re going through the opposite, you know something needs to be done.
Just like you, your four-legged friend gets tired, too. Unlike you, they can’t get themselves a good bed, amazing sheets, and a room temperature that can facilitate a sound slumber. But you can.
If you’re tight on budget, want to cut down on some expenses, and have absolutely no choice but to say no to luxurious beds for your pup, you’re not alone.
Before we dive into the world of beds and sleep for your canine companion, let’s first take a look at how the quality of sleep can be affected by the quality of sleeping materials we have.
- How much does an average dog bed cost?
- What is the most comfortable dog bed?
- What size dog bed should I get?
- Dog Beds: Affordability Over Quality
- How Bed Quality Affects Sleep Quality
Top 5 Dog Beds Under $10
- Furhaven Pet Dog Bed Mat | Insulated Self-Warming Pet Bed Mat
- Furhaven Pet Dog Bed Kennel Pad
- Double Bolster Pet Bed for Metal Dog Crates
- QIAOQI Dog Bed Padded Bolster
How much does an average dog bed cost?
A: The average cost of pet beds depends on the size, material, and overall durability of the bed. Just as there are cheaply made beds, which can still be durable by the way, there are also luxurious beds that let you splurge. Typically, beds can cost between $10 – $40. Higher quality and branded ones can cost up to $70- $350.
What is the most comfortable dog bed?
A: The most comfortable beds for larger dogs can differ from the most comfortable beds for smaller dogs. The level of comfort will also depend on the season. For example, larger dogs may find a higher level of cushion to be more comfortable because it can accommodate their weight without sacrificing comfort. Smaller dogs, on the other hand, may find smooth or furry beds more comfortable.
What size dog bed should I get?
A: That depends entirely on the size of your dog. A large breed dog will not fit in smaller beds, and will therefore not be a good choice. The same goes with a smaller dog. You should also take into consideration your dog’s sleeping habits, i.e., if he tends to curl up, etc.
Dog Beds: Affordability Over Quality
When you see something incredibly cheap, two things will cross your mind: the questionable quality and durability, and savings. Because who says no to savings, right?
If savings can mean something that’s short term, is it really considered saving? Consider buying something because it saves you some dollars, but since it doesn’t last long, you’ll be needing another purchase of the same thing in a few weeks or months. Wouldn’t that cost you the same as a more expensive yet longer lasting item?
The same principle applies with some of our basic necessities. But then again, there’s always a reason behind our every purchase. So if in choosing your pup’s bed, you’re more inclined to the less expensive options for a reason, we’re not here to judge.
It’s no secret. Low price does sacrifice quality. Whatever your reason may be- it may be temporary, a replacement, a mere crate pad, or maybe you know beds won’t last long with your heavy chewer anyway- when going for the lower price range, you should only expect the quality to not be great.
Quality aside, comfort is not always compromised when you decide to go for the less expensive beds. Some still feature the cozy and comfortable materials we’re always after – faux fur, extra padding, cushion, fleece, and polyfiber to name a few. Perhaps taking better care of these cheaper beds can lengthen their lives, providing comfort for your pup longer than you would have expected.
How Bed Quality Affects Sleep Quality
There’s a reason we prioritize our sleeping space. After a long day at work, who doesn’t want to retreat to a cozy and inviting place that can alleviate all the back, neck, shoulder, and leg pains?
That being said, a slumber party on a hard surface would be very uncomfortable, hurting your back, joints, neck, shoulder, etc. and would probably feel more like a punishment than rest. It’s uncomfortable to say the least, and you’d probably not subject yourself to that.
The point is, the quality of your bed will have a big impact on the quality of sleep you’re going to have, and this is also true with your pups. Giving them an uncomfortable place to spend each night will not only result in sleep deprivation that can affect their body, it can also be detrimental to their behavior and mental state.
Sometimes investing in the very thing that affects him as a whole is an investment worth making. Their mental and physical health does depend greatly on it. But if it cannot be avoided, you can still make sure there is enough comfort and coziness in the bed, even if you go cheaper.
Before you ultimately decide to go for cheaper beds, however, let me just say that if another $10 can make a huge difference in the quality, it might be worth reconsidering, and even sacrificing most of the time.
Nevertheless, we went ahead and selected our top five beds that go below $10 but provide the comfort and cozy cushion your pup deserves. Let’s take a look.
Top 5 Best Dog Beds Under $10
MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Super Plush Pet Bed (18” & 22“)
- Plush mocha Ombré Swirl deluxe dog bed & cat bed | Pet bed fits 18L" dog crates & works great as a stand-alone bed
- Ideal pet bed for "Toy" dog breeds & cats up to 6 pounds | Pet bed measures approximately 17L x 11W x 1.5H - Inches
- Ultra-soft synthetic fur dog & cat bed | "Non-skid" grip on the bottom of the pet bed works great on hardwood or tile floors
- Pet bed looks great in the home | Ombré Swirl pattern & neutral mocha color is sure to complement your home décor
- Easy maintenance dog bed| Agitatorless washer & dryer friendly pet bed includes 1-year Manufacturer's Warranty
- Super soft and comfortable
- Provides enough cushion
- Great for crate comfort
- Low quality and durability
- Good for short term use
- Flattens if used by a heavy dog
The Mocha Ombré Swirl deluxe dog bed is great to use as a crate pad or a bed in itself and can actually provide extra comfort. Measuring only 17L x 11W x 1.5H, it’s best for toy breeds who love to curl up and rest in comfortable spaces.
It’s thicker than what you would think a mat would be but not as thick as a huge overstuffed pillow bed. It can still provide some relief to pups with arthritis, joint pain or hip pain because of its extra soft material. It’s also safe to toss in your washer and dryer. The downside would be, as expected, its quality.
This bed is actually only good for short term use despite the comfort it brings. As you won’t be expecting maximum durability from this bed, you can expect it to start tearing once your pup decides to start chewing. If he isn’t a heavy chewer, that makes it a little bit safer, but only a small amount of chewing can get this bed from treasure to trash in no time.
When it comes to getting the value for your money, you’re not behind at all. It is worth every penny. Your pup is guaranteed to like it if he likes soft, cushiony and cozy slumber dens.
Furhaven Pet Dog Bed Mat | Insulated Self-Warming Pet Bed Mat
- PET FRIENDLY DESIGN: The thermal pad is safe and non-electric; nestled inside, against the insulating polyester batting, is a layer of thermal insert that reflects natural body heat to create a warmer sleep surface for cozy snuggles
- SLEEP SURFACE: The sleep surface features plush faux fur that is luxuriously soft, with the quilted seams adding a bit of cushioned padding for enhanced cuddling comfort
- PERFECT FOR TRAVEL: The thermal pad is lightweight and highly portable, making it an ideal bedding companion for pets when out traveling, hiking, camping, and engaging in other outdoor activities; keep your pet warm whenever and wherever
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Espresso; Small, 17" x 22" x 0.25"
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The bed pad comes in Snow Leopard, Leopard, Black, Espresso, Cream, and Gray; it's also available in Small and Large
- Super soft
- Offers enhanced insulation
- Lightweight and portable
- Too thin and flat
- Makes a crinkly sound that pups don’t like
- Reports of an unpleasant smell emanating from the cloth cover
This bed is surprisingly one of the cheapest Furhaven beds we could find, and it’s more surprising that it can still live up to its Furhaven name despite the price cut.
That said, your furry baby can still enjoy being nestled in a comfortable slumber haven that is the plush faux fur that covers the sleep surface, with extra padding for added comfort. It’s definitely gentle on the nose and paw- something you wouldn’t hesitate to provide for your cuddle buddy.
Added benefits include enhanced insulation and heat reflection for better winter comfort, portability so you won’t go anywhere without a soft and cozy retreat for your canine pal, and an aesthetically pleasing exterior that makes it blend with your home interior better. You can also use it as a crate pad if that’s what you need.
Additional effort might be necessary to keep this bed in place, so slipping can be avoided. Since it’s very light, it’s not uncommon for this bed to hardly stay in place especially if your pup tends to move a lot during sleep. Keeping him safe is still possible by adding an adhesive of some sort to keep it in place. Quality will still be an issue, but that is to be expected after all.
Overall, with its unbelievably low price tag, this Furhaven bed is still worth its price.
Furhaven Bolster Dog Bed/Nap Mat
- PET FRIENDLY DESIGN: The bed features an open design that gives pets plenty of room to sleep in a variety of positions; its low-profile form factor also makes it an ideal choice for crates and portable kennels for enhanced comfort
- SLEEP SURFACE: The sleep surface is lined with ultra plush faux fur so luxuriously soft to the touch that no pet could ever resist snuggling into its downy comfort
- EASY ON JOINTS: The tufted design keeps the fiber-fill from shifting and bunching up to provide uniform cushion support for delivering optimum lounging comfort for all pets
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Strawberry Pink; Small, 16" x 23" x 2"
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The bed comes in Strawberry Pink, Latte, and Chocolate; it's also available in Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Jumbo
- Easy to clean
- Very pretty
- Water resistant base
- Repeated washing can cause uncomfortable lumps
- Good as a liner, not much as a floor cushion as it’s too thin
- Uneven stuffing that causes lumps and bumps
We have to be honest: we didn’t see this coming. Two rather cheaper beds from Furhaven. That’s interesting, until of course we see what an extra $10 can add to the quality of the bed.
This bolster bed/nap mat is as comfortable as it is pretty. It comes in sizes small, 18″ x 24″ x 3” and extra small, 13″ x 22″ x 2″. Sizes that follow will cost over $10, so if you have a medium, large or extra large dog, this is not for you.
Great for toy breeds (again), this bed features a plush, curly faux fur cover on the surface your pup will be interacting with mostly. It’s a cozy, comfortable snuggle-enticing bed he won’t be able to resist. It also features bolster railing that provides optimum orthopedic support for the neck, back, and hips, which means it’s also perfect for elderly and recovering pups.
Since it’s easy to clean, you might be tempted to toss it into your washer and dryer anytime you see or smell something, but you might want to reconsider that because repeated washing will cause immediate wear and tear, and that involves getting lumps everywhere- something your pup will definitely not appreciate as it will cause discomfort and a low quality sleep.
Add it as a liner to an existing cushion that may have flattened over time and it’s perfect. Your pup might not appreciate it as a standalone bed on the floor, though, especially if he has been gaining weight.
Overall, this bed is pretty and comfortable, and worth the price. But you can’t expect it to last as long as other beds especially if you have to wash it several times.
Double Bolster Pet Bed for Metal Dog Crates (White Fleece, 18” & 22”)
- Pet bed designed for metal dog crates | double bolster unrolls to provide comfortable bumper around perimeter of your dog crate
- Unique design prohibits dog bed from bunching | 4 elastic straps are used to secure pet bed to the dog crate's floor pan to keep your dog comfortable!
- Create a cozy den for your dog | Pet bed designed to fit a standard 18-inch long metal dog crate (for toy breeds)
- Your dog will love it | Exquisitely soft, dreamy fleece material with a polyfiber cushioned base & high bolsters to provide an added sense of security
- Easy-to-clean & quality product | Pet bed is machine washable, dryer friendly & backed by a 1-Year MidWest Homes for Pets Warranty
- Elastic corner straps make it secure
- Cozy and comfortable
- Aesthetically pleasing with its white fleece finish
- Shrinks after every wash
- Doesn’t hold its shape
- Has no padding on the bottom
This white fleece double bolster bed for crates is definitely a stunner, until it’s not. Its exterior is one that can entice any furball into cozying up and start snuggling. After all, its exquisitely soft, dreamy fleece material with a polyfiber cushioned base can provide maximum comfort, and its high bolsters provide added security.
Flexibility is one of its strongest suits as you can use this bed in crates, carriers, vehicles, or as a stand-alone bed on the floor. Its elastic straps will ensure it stays in place when you’re using it as a crate mat. You can use it inside the crate and provide a warm, safe environment for your pup.
I would be wary of tossing it into the washer and dryer repeatedly, though, as it tends to shrink after every wash. If you have a well toilet trained pup, that will reduce the number of times it needs to be cleaned.
For the cheap price tag, it’s not bad. For a few more bucks, you can get a lot better quality.
QIAOQI Dog Bed Padded Bolster
- Make from high quality fabric, soft and comfortable for your pet to rest . non-skid bottom surface to prevent moving and shifting when your pet steps on, steps off, or curls up for a nap.
- Ideal pet bed for folding metal dog crates, dog carriers, cat carriers & dog houses, great as a stand-alone pet bed.
- DIMENSIONS: Available in 4 sizes to ensure the perfect fit, Small 45*35*6cm(17.7L*13.8W*2.4H)Medium62*48*6cm (24.4Lx19.7Wx2.4H), Large 82*58*6cm(32.3Lx22.8Wx2.4H), XL95*73*6cm (37.4Lx28.7Wx2.4H).
- Super soft, machine washable & dryer friendly
- NOTE:The above sizes are the external measurement, not the inner size.
- Nice and soft
- Soothing for stiff joints
- Secure with its non-skid bottom
- Falls apart in washer
- Beads up where pup’s weight is
- Not very durable
It’s cozy, warm and comfortable, and that’s all that should matter. It’s not that durable, and probably won’t last longer than you want or need it to, but it will do its job of providing a cozy snuggle-worthy slumber spot for your pup.
The price tag is only for the medium variety, which has the dimensions (24.4Lx19.7Wx2.4H). You can use it for folding metal dog crates, dog carriers, cat carriers & dog houses, great as a stand-alone pet bed, and this flexibility makes up a lot for its durability over time.
We also can’t help but agree that its grey finish blends easily with almost any surrounding décor, making it worthy of mention. There is added padding at the bottom which provides relief for stiff joints. Elderly dogs can definitely benefit from this bed.
Durability-wise, it fails considerably, but not to the extent of not serving its purpose. If treated well, it can last longer and provide comfort as much as it needs to. For something long-term, this would not make a great choice.
Of Sleep, Comfort, And Price Tags
Size does contribute to the price tag of a bed, and that is why most of our picks (more like most of the items that fit the price tag) are beds for smaller dog breeds. It goes without saying that the larger the item is, the higher the price will be. Even with cheaper items, this still holds true.
Regardless of your reason for opting to save some at the time of your purchase, we hope you’re able to find the bed you’re looking for, or at least the features you’re not willing to let go of in terms of your furry friend’s sleeping companion.
Sleep quality still is a priority, and we’ve all been able to squeeze the budget at some point. Your pup is lucky to have you if you’re here still wanting to ensure his safety, comfort and security despite the absolute need to cut down on some things- even the ones important to you.