Ensuring your cats’ basic needs are met is an important part of being a pet owner. Their essentials do not end in food, air, and shelter only. They need to expel their waste as well. Otherwise, they will end up getting sick.
Before going out to buy a cat litter box though, you need to understand a couple of things first. You should know which one is best for your cat. You must also have an idea about its upkeep as well
Table of Contents
- Why You Should Get Your Cat A Litter Box
- Where You Should Keep The Cat Litter Box
- How Big Should The Cat Litter Box Be
- Cat Litter Box Maintenance
Cat Litter Boxes
Also referred to as litter tray, cat pan or sandbox, this is technically a box designed to collect your pet’s fecal and urinal waste. This is typically filled with cat litter. The purpose is to help make your pet feel the urge to poo and pee. Instinctively, cats bury their waste when done. They are able to do this in the box with the help of the litter.
Why You Should Get Your Cat A Litter Box
Who wants animal feces or urine in their homes? I don’t think you do. One cause of such is the absence of the proper facility. This is true especially for pets who are used to staying indoors. They might be not like to go outside to expel their waste.
Another reason why you need a litter box is the weather. During bad weather, you cannot expect your cat to make the trip outside. Some cats are not fond of hot summer days as well. Your pets will appreciate it also when they get sick or injured.
Cats may also be afraid of other cats or animals outside. They will definitely not want to go out in such a case. If you have an elderly cat, then you should have a litter box inside. He will not have the energy nor desire to go out when he needs to.
You do not have to go through the trouble of cleaning up after your pet outdoors. It also lessens uprooted plants due to the cat’s desire to cover his waste. Inspection for symptoms of any illness is also easier with waste in the litter box. You are less likely to deal with angry neighbors, too. Nobody likes the smell of cat poo.
Where You Should Keep The Cat Litter Box
First, the box should not be anywhere near the food or water bowls. It should also be located away from the busy parts of the house. Cats, like anyone else, like to conduct their business in private. If you have more than one cat, it is best to assign separate boxes for each one. Also, the location must easily accessible to your pets. They end up disinterested if it takes so much effort to get to the box.
How Big Should The Cat Litter Box Be
Bigger is generally better when it comes to the cat’s litter tray. It should accommodate your cat’s movements. They do not usually just enter and eliminate.
They enter, sit down, shift a little and scratch something before actually pooing. The ideal size is 1.5 times the cat’s length from nose to the tail’s base.
In addition to size, the litter box can also have a cover if your cat is the shy type. You should also get a low entry box for your elderly cat.
Cat Litter Box Maintenance
Stools should be removed every day. If possible, you can remove it right after your cat expels it. This keeps your home clean and avoids unpleasant smell.
The box or tray should be emptied completely weekly, including removing the litter. It should be then washed thoroughly. It is recommended to use hot water with detergent for complete sanitation. However, you should go with a mild detergent to avoid possible irritation. Phenol disinfectants should be avoided as they are toxic for your feline friends. In case your vet tells you to use an antibacterial product, you should stick to his recommendation.
Reviews of Top 5 Cat Litter Box
Armed with basic knowledge on litter boxes, it is time to check out what are your options. The following is a review of the top five cat litter boxes for you to choose from.
Catit Hooded Cat Litter Pan
- Provides your cat with privacy while retaining their litter inside the pan
- Large hood lifts up for easy access for cleaning
- Carbon filter works to remove odors. Made of BPA-free materials
- The large hood lifts up for easy access for cleaning, while the built-in bag anchor helps keep the bag open and frees hands for scooping
- Door opening measures 10.4 inches by 9.6 inches. Dimension when assembled is 22.4"L x 18.3"H x 17"W. Hand wash with mild soap and water
If your cat is into keeping its privacy, then the Catit Hooded Litter Pan is one of the best ways to go. It is easy to put together and disassemble. This gives you the advantage of being able to clean it thoroughly. To scoop the waste out, you just need to lift the hood up. The pan has a built-in anchor for the bag, so it remains open while you take out the waste.
Probably the best thing about this is its size. With its size at 22.4 inches in length and 18.3 in height, even two cats together can fit inside. Whether multiple cats or larger breeds, you will find this pan to be a wise solution.
Iris Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- This top-entry kitty litter box is the perfect way to prevent litter scatter and effectively contain spraying
- The Large top entryway on the deep cat litter pan allows for easy entry and exit
- The grooved lid on the large cat litter box helps to remove stubborn litter particles from your cat’s paws
- Rounded shape and included litter scoop makes cleaning your covered cat litter pan quick and easy
- Entire Dimensions: 20.47"L x 16.14"W x 14.56"H
If you have a pet who tends to cause a splash, you should go for this top-entry litter box. It keeps your kitty’s waste completely enclosed including possible splatters. You do not have to worry about your pet having a hard time getting in and out of it.
The box comes with a large opening that makes entries and exits easy. Its lid is designed with grooves. These are proven to be effective in lifting out litter particles that get stuck to your pet’s paws. You will be relieved not seeing them after your cat’s time inside the box.
It also comes in different colors with some feminine hues to pick from. Your female cat does not have to suffer masculine and bland colors. It is also equipped with a litter scoop, which can be hanged outside of the box. You got all that you need with this litter box.
Purina Tidy Cats Litter Box System and Starter Kit
- Purina Tidy Cats Breeze Cat Litter System Starter Kit
- All in 1 litter system is easy to maintain
- Amillimeteronia Blocker is guaranteed to prevent amillimeteronia odor for 7 days for 1 cat
- Absorbent litter pads for mess free cleanup ; Anti Tracking Pellets: Litter pellets dehydrate solid waste and help minimize tracking 99.9 percent dust free
- Filtering litter pellets separate solid waste for easy removal
This option is not just a litter box. It is a complete system for accommodating and supporting your pet’s waste activities. You will not have a hard time dealing with your cat’s waste as they get separated.
The solid one remains on top of the litter pellets, so you can scoop them fast and easy. The urine passes through the pellets, going down to the disposable pad at the base of the tray. This pad absorbs the liquid waste, eliminating the odor that comes with it.
Cleaning the whole system is a piece of cake. The urine pad can last for a week, and you simply have to throw it away after that. You can take care of solid waste using the scoop that comes with it. The starter pack includes enough litter pellets and disposable pads to last your cat for a month.
Good Pet Stuff Plant Hidden Litter Box
- Large-capacity cat litter box looks like a real clay pot. The plants and the parts are nested between the top and bottom section of the litter box.
- Made of durable polypropylene
- Filtered vented system works to control dust and odor
- Designed for large cats and multi-cat households
- Measures 42 inches high with included plant; 1-year limited warranty
If you are the type who likes keeping things looking nice and tidy, then the litter box presented as a clay pot plant holder. You can keep it anywhere, and it would simply add aesthetic value to your home’s interiors. The pot-like box is made of polypropylene.
This material is tested to be durable. You do not have to worry about it breaking or getting damaged easily. It stands 42 inches tall (inclusive of the plant). It has a large capacity, so both multiple cats or larger breeds will not be an issue.
The best thing about this litter box is how you do not have to hide it. You can even use it to enhance any room in your home.
Pet Mate Arm & Hammer Sifting Litter Pan
- SIFTING LITTER BOX: This sifting kitty litter box includes two regular pans & a sifting pan to provide an efficient way to clean your cat's litter box, no scooping required! Helps keep clean litter fresher for longer.
- LARGE CAT LITTER BOX: Simply lift the sifter pan in order to separate soiled & clean litter. The reinforced bottom holds up to lifting heavier amounts. The antimicrobial protection helps prevent odor-causing bacteria & stains.
- PET CLEAN UP: Swiftly clean up after your dog or cat while at home or on walks with a variety of waste management products. From waste bags, rakes, pans, trainings pads to poop scoopers, litter boxes & litter, we've got you & your pet covered.
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
Pet owners who do not like scooping dirt will find this pan most advantageous. It comes with three pans that work to separate the clean litter from the dirtied ones. The first regular pan serves as the base while the second one contains the litter. The sifting tray is in the middle. It is used to sift the litter that clumps together due to the cat’s feces.
You will find this box the best option when it comes to ease in cleaning. No need to deal with hand maneuvering to scoop the dirt out. All it takes is a simple sifting.
Buying a cat litter box is necessary for your own peace of mind. It does make your pet’s life easier too.