Choosing a bed for your extra large canine companion is closer to choosing a bed for yourself than you think. They need beds that almost has enough room for you, but also ones that can provide them with easier access and the right amount of padding because, well, their weight can easily cause dents on a thin one.
Since they have different needs than toy breeds, it’s not enough to just look for fluff. Here, we’ll discuss what you need to look for in choosing the best bed for your extra large pup.
Bed comfort and support are invaluable especially in XL pups, and therefore should be looked into carefully. Let’s take a look at our top choices for extra large beds.
Table of Contents
Common Questions, Answered
- Are beds for extra large breeds more expensive?
- Do extra large dog breeds need soft beds?
- What can I do about my dog’s joint problems?
- How To Choose The Right Bed Size
- Raised Beds For Extra Large Dogs
Top 5 Extra Large Dog Beds
Q: Are beds for extra large breeds more expensive?
A: As with clothes and most of the things with sizes, extra large beds can considerably cost more than smaller dog beds. This is because of the extra materials that need to be used, and the extra shipping and handling costs since it’s significantly bigger and weighs more. There are still affordable extra large beds available in the market, and you’re sure to get quality ones provided you know what to look for and spot its strengths and weaknesses.
Q: Do extra large dog breeds need soft beds?
A: Although the most preferred beds for extra large dog breeds are the elevated/raised ones, your XL best pal will also appreciate the soft, cuddly foam beds like any other dog breeds. Raised beds are easier to get in and out of and are much more comfortable because it’s gentle on their joints and legs, but fluffy, cozy soft beds are also very gentle on their paws and noses, which also makes them ideal.
Q: What can I do about my dog’s joint problems?
A: Aside from medications, there are other things you can do to relieve your canine companions’ joint problems including keeping their weight at optimal level, maintaining a healthy exercise routine, massaging their joints, and using appropriate beds such as raised/elevated beds and orthopedic or memory foam beds.
How To Choose The Right Bed Size
Here are some points to consider when choosing the right bed for your dog.
1. Choosing the right bed often goes together with the perfect size. First, you may need to consider the size of your pet before buying one. It may help to measure your pal’s exact size and add a few inches to its final number just to make sure you give them some room for a more spacious and comfortable bed.
2. Not all dogs are similar in personality especially in their sleeping positions. Some dogs like to curl up when they sleep and some love to stretch out; so the larger the bed, the better.
3. Don’t forget the beddings when choosing a bed for extra large breed dogs and always consider quality materials for their beds. You may need to wash your dog’s beddings regularly to remove dirt and keep bacteria out of your best friend’s favorite spot.
We suggest looking for beds that are easy to clean- those with washable and removable beddings. Opt for beds with waterproof and with antibacterial fabric to help you with cleaning and durable materials since cheap materials can be costly in the long run.
4. Speaking of materials, we highly recommend memory foam dog beds that usually hold up with larger dogs over time.
Raised Beds For Extra Large Dogs
An elevated or raised dog bed can offer many benefits to your extra large dog, and this is why a lot of fur parents have decided that these beds are actually ideal for their furry pals. Here are some of these benefits:
1. It keeps them off the ground. Obviously. But that also means they are safe from the cold floor and clean. When your canine pals are shedding, you know, when hair is everywhere, it’s easy to scoop these unwanted hairs back along with dust from the floor. An elevated bed can be a breath of fresh air.
2. Raised beds make it easy for your pup to get in and out bed… even if they have joint problems! We have the bed’s height to thank for that. If your pup is suffering from arthritis or any joint pain, he’ll thank you for an elevated bed.
3. Air circulation is one of the most loved features of elevated dog beds. It can be especially useful in summer and spring when it gets too hot, and even in the winter when it’s too cold. You don’t want him lying on the cold floor when he can have a bed that converts his body heat to heat that can keep him warm throughout the night.
4. His weight is better distributed in a raised bed, and can therefore avoid adding more pressure to already painful joints. He’s bound to also have a more relaxing sleep because of the even weight distribution.
5. If you haven’t found the bed that can last longer, elevated beds are far more durable than other types of beds. These are beds your pup can’t and wouldn’t want to chew, and their legs are often made from sturdy materials to hold their weight effortlessly.
Top 5 Extra Large Dog Beds
Furhaven Pet Dog Bed w/ Removable Cover
- PET FRIENDLY DESIGN: The bed features an L-shaped chaise design with dual bolsters that promote security and provide additional high-loft cushion support for head resters and a cozy nestling nook for burrowers; it's perfect for sprawlers and cuddlers
- SLEEP SURFACE: The sleep surface is lined with ultra plush faux fur, while the bolsters are wrapped in lustrous micro velvet; both are soft-to-touch fabrics that no pet could ever resist snuggling into
- EASY ON JOINTS: The egg crate orthopedic foam helps cushion pressure points, distribute body weight, and improve air circulation, while the fluffy-filled bolsters provide optimum support for the neck, back, hips, and joints for a more restful sleep
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Sable Brown; Jumbo, 44" x 35" x 8" (4" Foam; Sleep Surface: Approx. 38" x 29")
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The bed comes in Sable Brown, Merlot Red, Deep Sapphire, and Platinum Gray; it's also available in Small, Medium, Large, Jumbo, and Jumbo Plus
- Dual L-shaped bolster design gives them security
- Great support for aching joints and muscles
- Durable and easy to clean
- Takes a couple of hours to fully extend
- Material could have been made thicker
- Strong chemical smell when opened
The Furhaven pet bed with removable cover might make you feel like it’s heaven-sent. It’s sturdy, keeps your favorite four-legged friend comfortable and secure, and give him excellent joint and back support. It’s an all-in-one package that’s hard to come by, especially if you have a relatively larger pal.
The contoured edges are perfect for the hips, and the bolsters provide an excellent support for his neck. Because your best pal deserves only the best bed in providing unmatched comfort, you won’t regret getting this for her to spend every night in. She’ll have nothing but restful, good night’s sleep every time. This bed can also be therapeutic for ailing or elderly pups.
Overall, the material and features of this bed make it very well worth its price tag. As having extra large dogs can pose a challenge in finding the best bed that can suit their needs, this bed makes for a great find until it lasts. We would suggest allowing the bed to air dry for a couple of hours to get rid of the chemical smell.
MidWest Bolster Pet Bed
- GIANT dog bed for the largest dogs like Great Danes, Mastiffs (or small horses!) & ideal for XXL dog breeds weighing over 110 pounds | Pet bed fits a 54-inch dog crate & works great as a stand-alone pet bed as well
- TURN YOUR DOG'S CRATE INTO THEIR FOREVER HOME! | Use pet bed in conjunction with their dog crate to entice your pet to use their crate
- Pet bed features ultra-soft synthetic fur & comfortable padded polyester bolster cushion around the perimeter for dogs to lay their head on
- Ideal dog bed for folding metal dog crates, dog carriers & dog houses | This specific size fits a 54-inch MidWest Ginormous dog crate (model SL54DD)
- EASY MAINTENANCE PET BED | 100 % machine washable & dryer friendly w/ a 1- Year MIDWEST QUALITY GUARENTEE Manufacturer's Warranty
- Great support for breeds like Great Danes, Mastiffs, Huskies, and other XXL dog breeds weighing over 110 pounds
- Can be used in crates too
- Huge space that provides extra room for toys or moving
- Not a great choice for chewers
- Not designed for washers with an agitator
- Strong odor when first taken out of its package
Whether you need a crate bed or a standalone bed, the MidWest Bolster bed for your extra large canine friend makes one of the best options. It’s great for making a comfortable slumber pad for extra large breeds because it offers maximum comfort and joint/neck/back support with its polyester-filled bolsters and cushioned poly/cotton base.
Its quality materials also make this bed sturdy, so you won’t have to keep replacing his bed, which can be quite a normal occurrence when you have extra large breeds. The rich texture of its cover makes it a nice personal space he can run to for a nap or to doze off at night.
This bed is worth every penny because of its high quality materials and features. It can easily fit a crate perfectly, and its waterproof underside allows it to stay dry if there are any little accidents. It comes in five color options and is also perfect for toy or smaller breeds as it also comes in 18 inches, 22 inches, 24 inches, 30 inches, 36 inches, 42 inches, 48 inches and 54 inches.
Super Value Dog Pet Bed Pillow by Majestic Pet
- Dimensions: 46 inch x 35 inch. Perfect pet bed for any pet between 45 to 70 pounds recommended.Color may slightly differ from website
- Premium Materials: The dog bed is stuffed with a Premium High Loft Polyester Fil that is environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic.
- Machine Washable: Our dog bed is machine washable so you can easily wash off dirt and stains. Simply place the entire bed into an open-drum washing machine only on Gentle cycle, Cool. Do not use washing machines with agitators.
- Highest Quality: Designed and assembled in the USA with imported materials so you are guaranteed a high-quality cushion pet bed for your dog
- Note: Dimensions provided are cut dimensions and finished dog bed dimensions may vary based on where the fillings are positioned.
- Poly cotton bed is super comfortable
- Easy washing
- Cheaper than most extra large dog beds
- Cloth cover is very thin
- Flattens out after constant use
- Not for chewing dogs
Majestic Pet has outdone itself by bringing this extra fancy and extra comfortable snoozing companion for your extra large canine pals. Coming in at 46 inches x 35 inches, this large-sized plush bed is stuffed with a hypoallergenic premium high loft polyester fill that is environmentally friendly.
It’s spacious enough to fit two large boxers, with even room for a little play. This bed is particularly perfect if you want to get your pup off of the couch. He’ll be snuggling into this bed before you know it, even preferring it over your couch.
Overall, it’s a great alternative for the couch or the bed for your extra large doberman, Great Dane, Boxer, or any other extra large breed of canine pals. It’s fluffy and provides a great amount of comfort and great flexibility. It’s also very easy to maintain, making it an instant favorite. Well worth its stars.
American Kennel Club Orthopedic & Memory Foam Couch
- American Kennel Club memory Foam Dog bed is 100% safe for animals, adults & kids and the environment
- Orthopedic Memory Foam adjusts to a dog comfort and improves your pet’s sleep quality while soothes the aching joints of puppies with growing bones and senior pets with Arthritis. Accessible for elderly and pets with disabilities
- Durable 100% Polyester with recycled materials. Non-skid bottom to prevent sliding on hardwood floors. Not designed for dogs with excessive teething or chewing behavior
- Comfortable rim serves like dog bed pillow, plushed for Extra support, so pets can rest their head on. Perfect for dogs of any age and great for multiple cat Breeds
- Rectangular bed tucks away nicely in any corner of the room and will complement your home décor. Easy clean, machine washable - fits standard washing machines
- Effectively soothes the aching joints of puppies with growing bones and senior pets with Arthritis
- Comfortable rim that serves as a pillow provides support for neck
- Flexible, light and portable
- Actual size may be different than described
- Seams fall apart faster than expected
- Takes up to 24 hours to get full size
This ultra plush 40 in. W x 8 in. H x 30 in. D bed is especially made for extra large and large breeds and is perfect to give them a good nights’ sleep and nap. If you have a senior canine friend, the memory foam and comfortable rims that serve as pillows will treat their joints and neck best because of the great support they offer.
Good sleep is good health, and that’s exactly what you can expect from this lightweight bed. How often does your pup wake up feeling well rested and well treated? Well you can expect to see that more. One of the best things about this bed is the extreme comfort from its soft middle square surrounded by a raised bolster- something your paw friend is guaranteed to love.
It’s helpful to know that its dimensions are actually 36x26x5, so it would help to ensure you are getting your pup’s exact measurements to avoid having to stash this bed away because it’s too small. If you don’t know which bed to get, we can tell you first hand that this bed is definitely paw approved.
Paws & Pals Elevated Dog Bed
- DIMENSIONS: Two (2) sizes: MEDIUM 32.55” x 25.5” x 8” (Frame), 25.5” x 24.85” x 0.05" (Mesh). Holds up to 35 pounds & LARGE 43” x 30.6” x 8” (Frame), 35.5” x 29.5” x 0.05" (Mesh). Holds up to 40 pounds
- EASY TO CLEAN: Wipe down with cleanser or soap.
- FOR USE INDOORS OR OUTDOORS: Waterproof design is great for outdoors
- GREAT FOR TRAVEL: Takes up very little space when frame is disassembled. Takes only minutes to reassemble.
- INCLUDES: Two (2) longer side rails, 2 smaller rails for the foot and head of the bed, One (1) mesh cover, Four (4) bolt and hex key; no additional tools required.
- Indoor and outdoor use
- Breathable mesh is super relaxing and cool
- Easy assembly
- Cover is not too durable
- Not chew proof (Not really indestructible)
- Harder to use in standard kennel if you need to kennel your dog
This bed will turn out to be a great purchase. It’s super comfortable in the summer and spring because it lets air flow above and below the bed since it’s elevated. It’s also very safe, which takes care of one of our main concerns- safety. It measures 29.5″ x 37″ and is a full 7″ off of the floor.
Purchasing the large bed also means there’s a lot of room for your smaller pups to share it. The sturdy build from four pieces that screw together prove to last longer than 8 pieces that interlock because they eventually get loose and become unusable. Get this bed for your Pitbull, Siberian Husky, Great Dane, or any other extra large breed for outdoor and indoor relaxation in any weather.
Overall, this is a great bed if you’re looking for not just comfort but also convenience, safety and long term use. It’s reasonably priced and is very well worth it. It’s also best to take with you when you’re traveling or having a picnic for a fun-filled day outdoors.
A Final Word
Anything less than our best bud’s needs is never an option, especially when it comes to improving, or maintaining the comfort they need and deserve. As sleep is a big factor in keeping them in tiptop shape, it’s not something we should ever overlook.
Choosing the best bed especially for extra large dog breeds has proven to be one of the toughest decisions a fur parent can make, and one where we can easily make a mistake. That’s why we feel a great deal of relief once we do find the perfect one for our best canine pals. We hope our list has provided you with an insight with what to look for in getting this perfect bed.