As with any family member, our furry babies also go through the process of aging, albeit faster than their favorite hoomans.
If you want to keep them happy despite the aching joints, painful mobility, and other health problems they have to go through as they age.
Giving them a good quality life can mean a lot to them, and it is our job as fur parents to ensure that all their special needs are met and dealt with to keep them happy and comfortable.
One of the most crucial needs our canine companions have and must not be overlooked is sleep.
Table of Contents
The Importance of Sleep
Before your search for the best bed for your canine pal commences, understanding how sleep affects him should be a priority. The importance of sleep cannot be stressed enough, but we’ll talk about it anyway.
As you might already know, your pup sleeps more than you. But how much sleep do they really need? Research shows that half of your pup’s lifetime is allotted to sleep. Younger dogs need relatively less sleep than their elders, consuming about 12-14 hours of their day. Additionally, elderly dogs can take up to 18-20 hours of sleep per day.
Sleep helps your pup develop his immunity, central nervous system, and his muscles and bones. Much like humans, sleep is vital for your cuddle buddy’s healthy growth and development, and it helps them recharge for another fun-filled day with their favorite two-legged friends.
Since your pup sleeps as much as he needs to, it’s only fair to consider his sleeping environment, especially the comfortability of his bed. This is where mistakes are easily made, and dogs are either forced to sleep in beds they dislike, to sleep on the floor for simply having no choice, or to sleep in your bed and share it with you.
Choosing the Right Bed For Your Pup
You don’t have to be an expert to determine how to choose the right bed that your pup’s health can greatly benefit from. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the different kinds of dog beds, and how they can be beneficial to your pup.
1. Orthopedic Beds/Memory Foam Beds
These are beds you’re likely to prefer if you have an elderly or injured pup. These beds provide relief for arthritis pain and discomfort along with hip pains as it redistributes their weight and pressure points throughout the surface, resulting in maximum support.
2. Warming Beds
These beds work just like your heated blanket does- it keeps you warm especially in winter. The temperature it heats up to is safe for dogs. Additionally, heat therapy helps with arthritis and pain caused by injury, and muscle stiffness and spasms by improving circulation.
3. Bolster Beds
These beds provide a source of security for your pup, keeping them comfortable and free from anxiety throughout the night. These are also the perfect beds for pups who tend to rest their head or leg on a pillow.
4. Fluffy Beds
These super comfortable beds provide maximum comfort to dogs with anxiety because of raised rims plus headrests for their cute little heads to rest on as they sleep. Use this bed if your pup loves to curl up, and if you want to manage unpleasant odors.
5. Sofa Beds
Sofa beds will make your pup feel like he’s hanging out in his very own lounge, thus the feeling of having his own space. This can help ease anxiety and maximize comfort as he takes a nap or sleeps through the night. The lounge also has raised sides that add a sense of security.
6. Cave Style Beds
Cozy cave style dog beds are preferred by pups who love curling up when they sleep and help them adapt to any climate. Winters, in particular, which may be difficult because of the extra cold, will be less uncomfortable as the cave style gives them cover.
7. Cot Style Beds
Raised or elevated cot beds are preferred for both indoor and outdoor use because of the improved air flow that goes underneath and over it, making your pup feel relaxed and refreshed. These beds are also great if your dog has arthritis or joint and hip pains as getting on and off them are easy. The best benefit of these beds is how the weight is evenly distributed, relieving pressure from specific parts of their body.
8. Cooling Mat
The floor might be a colder alternative from beds during summer or hot days and nights, but cooling mats are definitely more comfortable. Use these beds if your pup simply refuses any bed but the floor.
9. Roll Up Travel Bed
Travel beds are just as comfortable as other dog beds. They offer the same benefits, i.e., back and hip support, even weight distribution, warming and cooling, and ultimate comfort. There are also travel beds that have the same plush materials (faux fur, etc.) but are much easier to put away.
10. Mobile Beds
These beds are usually the luxurious, pod style beds that can act as both a carrier and a bed for when you’re traveling. They help you provide ultimate comfort for your small or toy pups if you’re one to take them anywhere you go. They also keep your pups safe during travel.
Determining which type of bed suits your furry friend best is both crucial and beneficial to him. The likelihood of him getting all the sleep he needs for a healthy growth and development, or keeping any type of pain at bay if he is an elderly dog, becomes better when his bed tailor suits his needs.
Pay attention to your pup’s sleeping habits and preferences, and to the climate in your area. Watch out for unusual pains and discomforts and target those as well. Create a comfortable, cozy and relaxing space for him whether it’s indoors or outdoors, and try to make it a space he can take refuge in during naps and throughout the night.
Memory Foam Beds
Therapeutic memory foam beds have been making a lot of noise in the past decade, with the promise of providing better sleep quality for our canine friends. A memory foam bed shapes itself based on the pressure it receives, giving you or anyone lying on it maximum comfort by adjusting to his needs as soon as he gets on it.
Elderly dogs and those who have recently been injured or are recuperating from an injury will benefit greatly from memory foam beds because these beds provide joint and muscle pain relief, and do not add pressure where there shouldn’t be.
Once you decide that a memory foam bed is what your canine pal needs, you’ll need to be aware of certain considerations that will help you make sure you’re going with the perfect bed at the end of the day.
The first thing you need to ensure is that the size is perfect for your pup so he can have a lot of wiggle room and room to squirm, stretch and be the happy. Even a little room for toys won’t be at all bad. If the bed is too small, chances of your pup staying in it will be slim.
Next is the density of the memory foam bed. You’d want to go with the memory foams that have higher density. This makes them better when it comes to firmness, resulting in better comfort especially if your pup has joint problems.
Although memory foam beds come with higher price tags, they offer unmatched comfort that your canine pals will surely thank you for. There’s nothing like making them feel cared for and loved more than providing them with something that makes sure they’re kept comfortable and safe.
Now that you know what to look for, it’s time to put your knowledge to the test. We’ve chosen our favorite memory foam beds for our puppers. Feel free to take inspiration as you match the features with your canine pal’s needs and order only when you know it’s a perfect match. Let’s have a look.
Examples of Memory Foam Dog Beds
Here are some of the memory foam beds you’ll find in the market today.
PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint pain (arthritis) and improved health, mobility, & energy. (ii) Calming bed for dogs who suffer from anxiety. (iii) Recycled 'green' support bolsters are generously filled. (iv) Durable & comfortable polyester (65%) & cotton (35%) twill
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover. (iii) Non-skid bottom. (iv) Blends in seamlessly with your home. (v) Replacement covers available separately
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, & ozone depleters. (ii) Low VOC emissions for indoor air quality. (iii) Passes stricter European REACH safety standards. (iv) Cover fabric certified as 'SKIN CONTACT SAFE'.
- IDEAL FOR MEDIUM / LARGE OR MULTIPLE SMALLER DOGS: (i) 36 x 28 x 9 inches. Can easily hold 100+ pounds. (ii) [Search Pet Fusion large pet blanket for new matching Blanket]
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (i) 'Bolsters' pre-loaded into cover, simply insert memory foam base & zip closed. (ii) EASY TO CLEAN, removable cover is machine washable. (iii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. Tumble dry on gentle setting. Do not use bleach when washing. (iv) 36 Month on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect.
Allow us to say that ultimate is definitely not an overstatement for the comfort capacity of this bed. The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed utilizes a 4-inch memory foam base, providing unmatched comfort levels as it provides support for joint pain and anxiety, as well as providing safety and security.
It’s one of those items you invest in because it can give you peace of mind. Since it’s made of paw-friendly materials, the last thing you’d have to worry about is your pup ending up sick after inhaling a dangerous substance while you’re in deep, peaceful slumber.
The bolsters make your four-legged friend more secure while also giving him a raised side where he can rest his head comfortably. Mind you, these bolsters are generously filled to ensure its ergonomic stability, keeping your pup secure each time.
Since this bed comes in four different sizes, you’re likely to find the one you need for your pupper instantly. The color options also let you choose which can go well with your home or bedroom decor. A solid thumbs up for this bed is well-deserved.
Here are its features:
- Solid, supportive memory foam
- Generously filled recycled polyfill bolsters
- Water resistant removable and washable cover and a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam
- Skin contact safe / breathable polyester & cotton blended fabric
BarkBox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed
- HIGH QUALITY COMFORT: The therapeutic gel memory foam comforts your dog by relieving body aches, joint pain, hip dysplasia, and arthritis, and giving optimal therapeutic support. It also works great as a cat bed, or a portable dog cuddler!
- WATERPROOF & MACHINE WASHABLE: Easily combat accidents and keep your dog’s bed looking and smelling fresh and clean. No more messes! The zippered cover slides off seamlessly for convenient cleaning! Just throw it in the wash and it’ll be good as new.
- MULTIPLE SIZES: Pick the perfect size for your pup! *Please note, we’ve recently made size improvements.* Available in Small (16" x 24" x 3"), Medium (29" x 18" x 3”), Large (22" x 35” x 3”), Extra Large (41" x 29" x 4”, and and XX-Large (50” x 32” x 5”)). Arrives as a vacuum packed bed in a box, easily unzip and let it inflate for up to 72 hours!
- NEUTRAL GREY COLOR: Our BarkBox bolster dog bed comes in a light grey! The perfect neutral, cozy color to match your home decor and conceal your dog’s fur. This high quality dog bed comes with a bonus surprise toy that your dog will love!
- PERFECT DOG SOFA FOR MEDIUM DOGS: Can’t find a comfortable, high quality bed for your dog? This BarkBox dog bed comfortably fits dog breeds like Australian Cattle Dogs, Aussies, Bulldogs & Cocker Spaniels. Get the bed your dog deserves!
The BarkBox Memory Foam Platform Dog Bed is another high quality memory foam bed you can get for your dog. It’s considerably affordable and comes in small to extra large sizes, with seven color options for when you want it to best suit your home interior.
It uses a therapeutic gel memory foam to provide comfort to your canine pal as it provides joint and hip pain relief along with optimal support. Since it’s using memory foam, it adapts to your pup’s movements and accommodates whatever position he ends up sleeping in.
This bed features a water-resistant cover that can also be machine washed in case of accidents. It’s a cozy bed that helps your pup achieve a long, high quality sleep that is both comfortable and safe. Here are some of its features:
- Pressure-relief gel memory foam
- Orthopedic ultra-plush
- Helps with hip dysplasia and arthritis
- More restful sleep for your dog
Your Best Choice
Whether you have a toy pupper who can easily be mistaken for a stuffed toy, or an extra large Great Dane; a very young pup or an elderly 12-year-old who will always be your baby, memory foam beds offer a great deal of comfort, pain and anxiety relief, and long, healthy, high-quality slumber that is unmatched.
The benefits of a memory foam bed for your back is equal to the benefits your canine companion can get from it as well, so the question of whether or not it’s a good choice for them can be answered by why not?