When it comes to travel beds, comfort and accessibility should come first. You also have to consider sleeping habits, size, and other special needs before embarking on a fun-filled holiday trip.
It can be a hassle to take your furry friend with you camping or fishing because you have to ensure that he’s comfortable after a long, exhausting day.
Some of the things we need to check in a travel bed is its portability, the level of comfort it can give your pup, how easy it is to maintain, its durability, and how it’s suited for your pup’s needs.
A luxurious feel and an attractive exterior comes as a bonus, and they’re really not hard to come by. We’ve decided to share what we know about some of our best travel bed choices.
Let’s take a look.
Table of Contents:
Common Questions & Queries, Answered
- Are portable dog beds safe and durable??
- Can my dog be comfortable in a travel bed?
- What dog breeds can stay outside?
- Does my dog need a sleeping bag?
- How can I keep my outdoor dog warm?
Top 5 Best Travel Dog Beds
- Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed 43”x26”
- Carlson Pet Products Red Portable Pup Pet Bed
- Selkirk Designs Portable, Inflatable Dog Travel Bed
- Kurgo Elevated Indoor & Outdoor Travel Bed for Dogs
- SUPERJARE Elevated Outdoor Pet Cot with Canopy
Are portable dog beds safe and durable?
Portable dog beds come as safe and comfortable as the beds they use at home. A lot of these beds even offer the same amount of, if not more, comfort and relaxation.
Since these beds are expected to be used outdoors and should pretty much be mobile most of the time, they are often made sturdier and with better materials, making them safer and durable on top of the comfort they provide.
Can my dog be comfortable in a travel bed?
Most travel beds offer just as much comfort as regular beds. Elevated beds, for instance, offer even more since the weight can be evenly distributed and allows easy access.
There are also travel beds that have the same plush materials (faux fur, etc.) but are easy to put away.
What dog breeds can stay outside?
Not all dogs are fit to stay outdoors. Those who are better suited to having an outdoorsy life tend to thrive better compared to when they’re domesticated. Dog breeds such as the Siberian Husky, the Irish Wolfhound, the Australian Cattle Dog, Swiss Mountain Dog, Mastiff, Beagle, Old English Sheepdog, Rottweiler, American Foxhound, Mutt, Labrador Retriever, Bernese Mountain Dog, German Shepherd, and Collie.
Does my dog need a sleeping bag?
Camping is a very enjoyable activity one can share with their canine pals. A sleeping bag is one of the essentials when going on a camping trip, especially if it can get cold where you’re camping. It will keep him warm and let him get enough sleep to prepare for the next fun and adventure-filled day.
How can I keep my outdoor dog warm?
If your pup prefers to have an outdoor life, keeping him warm during winter is important. You can start with familiarizing yourself with the type of breed your pup belongs to, and have a winter or a heating blanket handy for obvious reasons. Another option is to use an elevated dog bed (you can also use the blanket while he sleeps in his elevated bed.)
If it tends to get a lot colder, dog sweaters can also help. It’s an option for most fur parents to also have an outdoor shelter for your pup where he can rest during cold nights. If the cold is really unbearable, the only solution unfortunately is to have him stay indoors in the meantime.
The Top 5 Best Travel Dog Beds
Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed 43”x26”
- Waterproof and large size: dog mat is made of Oxford cloth, water resistant for almost all weather, water or rain drops can be easily wiped off the mat instantly; this pad is 43 inch *26 inch, large size for medium and large dogs
- Outdoor and indoor use: perfect outdoor dog bed, suitable as a camping mat, sleeping mat for pets, traveling car mat; also perfert as an indoor dog mat, suitable for crate mat, kennel mat.
- Durable and washable: mat is durable with refined stitching, scratch resistant and claw resistant, but not recommended for aggressive chewers; mat is washable, machine washed or hand washed
- Packable and portable: dog bed is packable, a carry bag is in the package, mat can be easily folded and slid into the bag; bag is portable, roll up the mat, convenient for travel, camping and other outdoor activities
- Easy to clean and anti- slip: front side is Oxford material, easy to clean, stains can be easily wiped off with a damp cloth; back side is the material with special techniques, anti slip and anti sliding
- Water resistant
- Easily folds up into a nice bag
- Can be thicker
- Sizes are smaller
- On the pricier side
Traveling light? Your pup tagging along will not be a problem with the Cheerhunting Outdoor Dog Bed. It comes with a portable carry bag, making it one of the most convenient travel dog beds out there. We especially love its lightweight design and portability because it’s easy to put away.
Oxford cloth material makes this bed waterproof, making it perfect for outdoor use as well because stains wipe off nicely and it dries effectively when it does get wet. On top of being a great outdoor bed, it also makes for a great indoor sleeping mat that provides comfort and relaxation for your snuggle buddy.
Overall, though a little thinner than expected, it is able to provide cushioning the best it can during camping trips, fishing trips, beach vacations, picnics, and other mobile activities. It also makes for a great porch mat where your pup can relax in the afternoons, a cot topper for elderly dogs, or a patio mat where he can feel at home.
It comes in blue and orange, and dimensions are 43 inches x 26 inches (large), 51 inches x 35 inches (extra large). If you have a large breed canine pal, they can stretch their hearts out and still be in place. It also features a non-skid bottom to ensure your pal’s security and safety when he’s out of your sight, so you can enjoy your trip more.
Carlson Pet Products Red Portable Pup Pet Bed
- Fold and go design
- Elevated pet bed is easy on joints
- Comes with carrying case
- 47 inches long by 24.5 inches wide by 7 inches tall
- Great from medium to large breeds up to 95 pounds
- Raised design provides better air flow
- Easy set up
- Unlikely to hold large breeds (70 lbs or heavier)
- Bolts and screws may need replacing to make it sturdier
- Canvas topper is not for heavy chewers
Make the most out of your trip by bringing this raised bed for your pup, providing a relaxing comfort as they enjoy the outdoors with you. We would especially recommend this elevated bed if you’re going on a camping trip, fishing at the lake, spending a day at the beach, or just having a picnic with the entire family.
Even on long drives and holidays, this raised bed is easy to set up and put away in its carrying case. The large one has the dimensions 47 inches long by 24.5 inches wide by 7 inches tall to provide more room for your pup and even accommodate sharing. For smaller pups, the small bed is perfect at 24 inches long by 24 inches wide by 7 inches tall.
Since it’s a raised bed, it provides better air flow from over and underneath it, keeping your furry pal comfortable, relaxed and cool, and we find this especially useful in the summer and spring. You can also use this bed indoors if need be as it’s sturdy and relaxing.
If you’re one to travel a lot and worry about leaving your canine pals in kennels, taking them with you won’t ever have to be a problem because you can keep them just as comfortable. Traveling light is still possible because it’s lightweight, and it can withstand weather conditions outdoors. Overall we find this bed satisfactory and exceeding expectations in comfort, security, safety and durability.
Selkirk Designs Portable, Inflatable Dog Travel Bed
- LIGHTWEIGHT BED & BLANKET SET - A lightweight travel bed & blanket set with a heavy-duty inflatable pad inside the cover, which zips closed to protect the pad. Also includes a detachable dog blanket
- BUILT FOR COMFORT - Your dog's camping gear is built with your pet in mind. The inflatable pad inflates to approximately 1.5 inches thick and has a screw open & close air valve for quick and easy inflation.
- MADE TO LAST - The top of the bed is Sherpa Faux Wools and has material underneath the wool covering designed to protect the inflatable piece from toenail punctures. The bed bottom is made with an anti-slip material to hold steady on slick surfaces (like a tent floor)
- GET UP AND GO! - The MOJO bed includes a stuff sack. Simply and quickly deflate the bed and roll the bed and blanket up and into the stuff sack. Your doggie sleeping bag can be put away as easily as yours. Probably faster, especially if your puppy helps. Stuff sack dimensions 13 x 6 inches
- WATERPROOF BLANKET - Designed for use camping, hiking, boating, traveling, as a carseat, in an RV, or just for use at home (inside or outside). Fits inside MEDIUM & LARGE paniers for dogs, so they can carry their own bed and blanket
- Excellent quality
- Sherpa Faux Wools make it extremely comfortable
- Deflatable for easier mobility
- Cover blanket does not stay in place
- On the heavy side
- A little pricey
Comfort knows no boundaries with this inflatable bed especially made for your furry friends. Its Sherpa Faux Wools provide an unmatched comfort that is gentle on their noses and paws, keeping them comfortable and relaxed throughout a cold night- perfect for camping trips when nights can be brisk.
Backpacking is not a problem either – deflate and roll into its stuff sack and you’re ready. All you have to worry about is how they will be dead tired after an extremely fun outdoor adventure. It’s inflatable, so it gives your pup more space above the ground (1.5 inches). That makes it a better choice for camping trips.
It’s comfortable, safe, secure and provides a relaxing set up anytime, anywhere. Durability-wise, it’s not falling behind either. The Sherpa faux wools covering the bed provides a luxurious sleeping space for your pal, while the bottom is protected from toenail punctures and even chewing.
Altogether, this bed is easily one of the best travel beds for your canine pals. If you can prioritize comfort and safety at the same time, it’s always the best for them, and this bed lets you have that and more. All the time you can save from its easy setup and dismantling is priceless.
Kurgo Elevated Indoor & Outdoor Travel Bed for Dogs
- Fold up travel dog bed: store this bed easily in your car so you’re ready for the next adventure. Your dog will always have a comfy place to rest. Topper is made from 600 denier fleece for comfort.
- Portable & lightweight: powdered steel frame is lightweight (approximately 5 lbs) & folds in half for easy transport. Elevated dog bed allows air to circulate underneath to keep pets cool; keeps pet fur Off the floor so you don’t have to spend your vacation vacuuming!
- Includes carrying case: Water resistant carrying case Includes handles for convenience. Simply fold bed in half, place in bag, & you’re ready to go!
- Holds up to 75 lbs: holds weights up to 75 lbs; approximately 30” in diameter. Please measure pet to determine if they will fit in bed.
- Lifetime : Product comes with hassle-free Kurgo lifetime against manufacturer defects when purchased from authorized seller. For questions, please contact Kurgo customer service at 877-847-3868.
- Luxurious comfort
- On the pricier side
- Slips and won’t stay in place unless modified with an adhesive or anti-slip
- Larger dogs have to be in a ball to fit
This luxurious compact travel cot is everything your furry friend deserves and more. Its 600 denier fleece that provides maximum comfort is paired with the relaxing elevated design that allows air to flow freely from beneath it and over it. Cool, refreshing, maximum comfort you can take with you anywhere.
Held up by a durable powdered steel frame keeps this bed strong, even for your 75-pound fluffy companion. Not traveling? Place this bed in the front yard so you can do your thing as he rests comfortably, ready for another round of outdoor adventure.
Camping, weekend trips, beach holidays, fishing at the lake… it’s easy to pop into the hood or in one of your bags because of its compact design that can fit nicely in its water resistant carrying case. Its bright red and grey finish is just an added bonus, really. If you’re not one to hesitate on spending a little more for your favorite snuggle buddy, this bed makes for an excellent choice.
Aside from being an excellent outdoor bed, it can also be used indoors, and what we particularly love is how it can also be a comfortable, luxurious mat if you don’t want to use the legs. He’ll be just as comfortable laying in the mat in your bedroom. Overall, it’s a bed worth investing in- versatile, convenient, comfortable all rolled into one.
SUPERJARE Elevated Outdoor Pet Cot with Canopy
- A LUXURIOUS ACCESSORY FOR FURRY KINGS & QUEENS! What kitten or doggy doesn’t just love to relax and enjoy the outside activities? That’s why we designed and crafted this gorgeous, elevated, outdoor pet bed with ideal dimensions - 36" x 48" x 9.1" ; and it comes with a canopy for full shade and protection
- STURDY & DURABLE DESIGN! Made of sturdy, durable 1680D Oxford fabric and steel frame, which mean that, this exquisite pet bed can hold up to 120 lbs, and endure the playful scratching and playing of your beloved furry companions
- HAVE A FUN AND COZY SUMMER! Made of breathable fabric, keeping your pet away from the sultry! Elevated design brings your pet a refreshing summer! it comes with a canopy for full shade and protection! Tips: The canopy is not water resistant, we recommend that you move the pet bed indoors, or in a covered area in rainy days or in stormy weather. So your furry friends won't get wet
- TAKE IT WITH YOU WHEREVER YOU & YOUR PET GO! Whether it’s for a weekend at beach, or for a camping trips, our lightweight, easily portable bed will make your cat or dog extremely happy wherever you go. Plus, it comes with its own handy little carry bag for maximum convenience
- INSTALLING IT IS A PIECE OF CAKE! You will need no tools, no screws, and no handyman in order to install your buddy’s new incredible canopy bed; the only thing you’re gonna need is a few minutes of your time and voila! It’s up and ready for your little fella to enjoy
- Comfort and protection from the sun
- Cozy and comfortable
- Creates a puddle in case of rain
- Legs will retain water inside the tubes and rust after long use
- Difficult set up
Take this chic and fancy travel cot on your travels because it’s designed for the kings and queens that our furry pals are. It’s designed to keep them extremely comfortable with its breathable fabric, safe from the sun’s rays and rain with its canopy, and secure with its durable materials. Three-in-one package for a low price.
Camping trips, weekend getaways, beach holidays, fishing outings or a simple day at the park won’t be an uncomfortable activity for him as long as you have this bed in the trunk or even in your bags since it’s portable. It’s ultra cozy as well because of the space he can have. XL is perfect for large dogs with the dimensions 48”L x 36”W x 43.2” H, while large can hold even small furry critters who can even share. Large dimensions are 36”L x 30”W x 35.5″ H.
For the full shade and cool, relaxing ambience, it’s totally worth the price. Imagine a long day hiking and coming home to this enormous and comfortable bed where they can take a nap or a full, overnight slumber to recharge. There safe and will get a good night’s sleep, ready for another adventure outdoors.
It’s also gentle on the paws, nose, and even joints since it evenly distributes their weight so they can lay as long as they want without hurting themselves. Overall, it’s a nice, reasonably priced, extremely comfortable, relaxing and durable bed that can make it look fancy and useful at the same time. Worth every penny.
Travel & Comfort
When leaving your pup with kennels makes your heart hurt at some point, taking them with you is the only way to go. As a responsible fur parent, it’s essential to keep your fur babies as comfortable as possible, even when you’re on the road.
It can be a pain to get the best travel bed unless you know what exactly to look for. As different dogs have different needs, the type and size of bed you choose can be critical. Be sure to measure your dog’s height starting from his nose to his tail, and add a little wiggle room for when he needs to move.
Our selections will give you an insight on what to look for in a travel bed so you don’t get one that’ll end up in the basement. Your car is where you’d want it to end up in. Travelling will be more appealing for your pups and they’ll be just as excited as you are for a chance at an adventure if they can have a great sleeping time afterwards.