It is a common notion for people to assume that crate training is cruel and that our pups dislike small and tight spaces, but some studies have proven that dogs love a calm, safe and rewarding place wherein they can rest and one which they can call their own.
A dog crate offers a place to train as well as a place to lay their heads down after a full, fun-filled day. It offers security and a comfortable refuge that can take away any form of stress.
One of the main purposes of using a crate is for house training your canine pals. The rationale behind this is simple – the last thing you’d want is finding all your stuff soiled and destroyed whenever you’d come home after a long day at work.
It’s unnecessarily stressful, and can even cause strain in your relationship with your would-be best friend.
Your crate should be a personal spot that offers both rest and of reward, which can help them develop a sense of security, of comfort and of happiness as soon as they become used to the idea of having their own quarter, if you must.
Table of Contents:
Common questions & queries, Answered
- Are dog crates cruel?
- Is it safe to cover the crate?
- Where should you put a dog crate?
- Crate Training 101: Benefits and Cautions
- How Can I Make My Dog Crate More Comfortable?
Top Dog Crate Essentials
- Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler
- Hartz Home Protection Unscented Odor Eliminating Gel Dog Pads
- PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket Fleece Fabric Soft and Cute 4 Colors 4 Sizes
- Neater Feeder Express Elevated Food and Water Bowls
- Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera with Night Vision
- Zesty Paws Calming Bites for Dogs
- West Paw Zogoflex Hurley Chew Toy
Are dog crates cruel?
Dog crates per se are not cruel. The way fur parents use it will determine if it is doing more harm than good to their pets. For instance, a leash and a collar are tools in training a puppy, and the same can be said with the crate. If used properly, it can be very beneficial for you and your pup in the long run.
Is it safe to cover the crate?
That will depend on what breed of pups will be using the crate. For instance, dogs in general are visually stimulated, but certain kinds of breeds are more hyperactive and can easily get excited. This means to prevent over exciting them, there should be a limit to the visual stimuli present. This is where crates come in handy.
Moreover, there are strict safety precautions that must be taken into account. These include making sure that you monitor the temperature inside the crate and ensure that there is enough airflow after the cover is placed.
Where should you put a dog crate?
During the day, you can position the dog crate where even where there’s heavy foot traffic, provided your pup can still see you or feel your presence.A quiet space where they can feel relaxed and comfy is also a good idea, and can even promote better sleep training. Making sure that the position of the crate is safe and away from direct sunlight is mostly ideal.
Crate Training 101: Benefits and Cautions
Training isn’t the only benefit your pup can gain from crate training. Here are some of its other benefits you can expect in the next few months.
1. Behavior development.
Since dogs love treats, anything they observe to bring them treats are easy to recognize and do often. However good this may seem, this can be erratic in the long run as it forms erratic behaviors. Crate training can help prevent forming bad habits.
2. Crates can be a source of safety and security.
Having their own den where they can unleash their inner desire to be in an enclosed space that is their own can give them the security they need, while at the same time you’re able to keep them safe.
3. Crate training can calm your pup.
Over-excited and overstimulated pups can be difficult to manage. They can also be aggressive, and since they’re social animals, exposure to people is necessary.
Crate training helps provide your pup with a sense of calmness and a chance to get away from the presence of too many stimuli that might affect their behavior.
4. Great way to travel.
Crates are helpful when traveling because of all the sights that are new to them. These new things can cause anxiety which can in turn make your pup restless and uncontrollable. Crates will help them through the anxiety.
How Can I Make my Dog Crate Comfortable?
In using a crate for your furry friend, your top priorities should be comfort, safety and security.
To make the crate more comfortable for your pup, use his favorite bed to make it cozier. Add a cuddly blanket and his favorite toys and it will be irresistible for him.
If your pup is yet to be toilet trained, adding a pee or training mat will especially be helpful to make cleanup easier and faster. Because your pup will likely want to be left alone once he’s settled in, you must not forget leaving him with a bowl of fresh drinking water to keep him hydrated, and of course, food.
Let’s take a look at some of the best dog crate essentials you can get your hands on that will help ease your mind about leaving your pup in his crate for what would be frequent me-times in his crate.
Top Dog Crate Essentials
Best Friends by Sheri The Original Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler
- Supports better sleep: Thanks to its round shape, our high-quality donut coddler puppy bed is ideal for pets who love to curl up! The raised rim creates a sense of security and provides head and neck support, while the super-soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief
- Superior Comfort: Cozy, flexible and finished with faux shag fur, our self-warming luxury dog bed is reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat! Paired with deep crevices that allow your pet to burrow, animals will have full, restful sleep for improved behavior and better health
- Versatile design: Available in BEAUTIFULLY natural colors, our pet beds are a seamless addition to any room’s décor! And because they’re finished with water and dirt-resistant bottoms, They help prevent accidental messes from reaching your floors
- Pet-safe materials: durable nylon and luxurious faux fur come together to create dog mattresses that are as practical as they are comfortable! For added convenience, every bed is safe in the washing machine and dryer (Machine wash, gentle cycle. Tumble dry, low heat), minimizing pet odors and excess hair
- Sizing suggestions: when choosing your dog bed, we suggest the 23x23” bed for dogs and cats up to 25lbs, The 30x30” bed for dogs and cats up to 45lbs, and the 45x45” bed for large dog breeds up to 150lbs. If you have any problems or questions, Simply reach out to our customer service team
- Ideal for pets who love to curl up
- Provides head and neck support, while the super-soft filling offers joint and muscle pain relief
- A self-warming luxury dog bed, reminiscent of a mother’s fur coat
- It is very thin and not suitable for a medium size dog
- Base is not fully supported
- Not suitable for teething dogs
A high quality donut cuddler bed that promotes better sleep, this donut bed comes with super comfy and soft faux shag fur and deep enough interior edges that allow them to burrow deep for a better sleep. It also has water and dirt resistant materials at the bottom that can prevent leaking from your floors.
This bed is made of durable nylon and luxurious faux fur which creates not just a comfortable but a practical bed that you can place in your pup’s crate.
As this is a round bed, it would only make for a great accessory alongside a real bed. You can place it round the corner if your pup is a toy breed where he can take naps or simply have a spot where he can curl up comfortably.
Note though that this is not suitable for your teething paws. This also tends to easily shag or mat, thoroughly drying them in the dryer after washing and avoiding it being air dried will help in maintaining its fluffiness. Overall a great accessory for your snuggle buddy which can make the crate more enticing for him.
Hartz Home Protection Unscented Odor Eliminating Gel Dog Pads
- Unique Flash-Dry technology instantly turns liquid into gel, locking in moisture to prevent messy leaks and unpleasant odors
- Includes 50 lavender scented dog pads infused with odor eliminating technology
- Each 21" x 21" pad features a plastic backing and border to protect all floor types by blocking leaks
- Our 6 layer construction dog pad creates a small urine spot, allowing your dog to find fresh, clean spots for multiple uses per pad
- Available in smaller or larger size counts and perfect for housetraining puppies, senior or sick dogs, extended indoor stays and use during travel
- Prevents messy leaks and unpleasant odors
- The perfect tool for house training puppies and senior or sick dogs
- Superb absorbency/Leak Proof
- Doesn’t stay in place
- Does not hold much pee
- It rips off quickly
This 6 layer construction dog pads offer your pup a fresh urine spot even after multiple pees. You can get it in smaller or bigger sizes which can be an effective tool for house training your canine pals, or for providing your elderly or recovering pups with an easy access pee corner. You can use it for extended indoor stays or even comes in handy during travels.
It’s quick drying and comes with a wonderful lavender scent that can help prevent unpleasant pee odor. Be very careful though in placing them in your pup’s crate and make sure they do not hit the edges as this one tends to slide off when your pets hit the sides of the mat.
Absolutely an essential accessory for when your pup is calling out for more crate time as it can help keep the crate clean, sanitary, and odor-free. It’s also best for use during travels, or for simply giving your pup a pee spot in the bedroom for an undisturbed overnight slumber.
PAWZ Road Pet Dog Blanket Fleece Fabric Soft and Cute 4 Colors 4 Sizes
- Size Large:length 55" width 39.4" (140*100cm)
- 100% Double-Sided Coral velvet Fabrics (ployester). Well Made Blanket by Ultra-Soft Plush Material
- Not Easy Pilling Not Easy to Drop Hair Close Skin Perfect for the Couch or Inside Pet Carrier or Your Car & RV
- Soft and Warm Keep Pet Hair Off Furniture Beds and Upholstery and It's Machine Washable
- Cute and nice Ideal For Travel and Naptime
- Soft and warm
- Keeps pet hair off furniture beds and upholstery
- Ideal for travel and naptime
- Fuzzies fall off/shed continuously
- Can use a little more thickness
- Leaves a lot of cleanup when washed in a washer
This is a warm fleece blanket that is light enough to prevent overheating and to be carried around by your furbaby (imagine just how adorable that is to see). It comes in beautiful attractive colors for extra coziness, and a beautiful edging around it that is chic enough to match your room designs.
It is a great alternative to pet beds if you have chewing pups as it can withstand some claws and bites, and even some tug of war with your pup since it’s made up of durable and high quality material. It also does not shrink even after multiple washing & drying, although it has been noted to produce some fuzzies after machine wash. We would recommend hand washing this blanket, but not frequently.
Aside from being an undeniable crate accessory, this blanket is also great for travels. Pack it along with your stuff without it contributing much to the space occupied. Its grey, blue, pink and dark grey color options give you the opportunity to match your crate’s exterior, or your home’s interior, or even both.
- Small – 30.3″L x 20.8″W (77x53cm)
- Medium – 40.9″L x 30.7″W (104x78cm)
- Large – 55″L x 39.4″W (140x100cm)
- XL – 78″L x 59″W (200x150cm)
Neater Feeder Express Elevated Food and Water Bowls
- MESS PROOF - Spilled food is separated and contained at the top, while spilled water drains into the catch basin below to keep your feeding area neat and clean.
- MADE FOR SMALL DOGS - Designed for small dogs up to 9" at shoulder & up to 18 lbs in weight.
- SAVE TIME CLEANING - Spills and messes are completely contained within the feeder, saving you time cleaning floors and walls.
- DISHWASHER SAFE - All parts of the feeder including dog bowls as well as top and bottom basins are 100% dishwasher safe.
- RUBBER FEET - Comes equipped with non-skid rubber feet on the bottom of each leg to prevent sliding.
- Mess and spill proof
- Dishwasher safe
- Slide proof
- Needs a locking latch on the sides
- Nothing to help secure the bowls from moving around
- Rubber feet are loose and not securely attached to the tray
This feeder comes in 100% dishwasher safe parts, which can help you save time in cleaning. It also includes one Neater Pet Brands Slow Feed Bowl which can slow down rapid eating, which can, as a result, reduce vomiting and improve your pup’s digestion.
It also comes with a water drain that has a catch basin underneath it, which can help a great deal in keeping your feeding area neat and clean. Spills and messes are completely contained within the feeder, saving you time cleaning floors and walls.
Whenever your canine pal wishes to stay in his crate for longer periods of time during the day, and even through the night, it’s always a great idea to have his water and food bowls to be handy. This is another undeniable necessity for crate training accessories.
Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera with Night Vision
- Live Stream from Anywhere in 1080p -1080p Full HD live streaming lets you see inside your home from anywhere in real time using your mobile device. While live streaming, use two-way audio to speak with your friends and family through the Wyze app.
- Motion/Sound Recording with Free Cloud Storage - Wyze Cam can automatically record a 12-second video clip when motion or sound is detected and saves that video to the cloud for 14-days, for free. Mobile push notifications can be enabled so you’re only alerted when something is detected letting you stay on top of things without having to constantly monitor the app. Or, record continuously to a MicroSD card (sold separately) regardless of motion and sound. Compatible with 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB FAT32 MicroSD cards.
- See in the dark - Night vision lets you see up to 30’ in absolute darkness using 4 infrared (IR) LEDs. Note: IR does not work through glass windows.
- Voice Controlled? You got it! - Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (US only) so you can use your voice to see who’s at your front door, how your baby’s doing, or if your 3D printer has finished printing. Wyze Cam is only compatible with the 2. 4GHz WiFi network (does not support 5GHz Wi-Fi) and Apple (iOS) and Android mobile devices.
- Share with those who care - One Wyze Cam can be shared with multiple family members so everyone can have access to its live stream and video recordings. Just have your family members download the Wyze app and invite them to your account. Camera sharing can also be easily removed.
- Motion/Sound Recording
- Free cloud storage is awesome
- Night vision feature
- IR does not work through glass windows
- WiFi compatibility issues
- The recorded alerts are too short
The Wyze Cam features full HD live streaming that gives you a clear view of the inside of your home from anywhere using your mobile device. This is in real time, a.k.a. live streaming, while also using two-way audio. Our favorite feature would have to be the voice control that works with Alexa and Google assistant.
Though this does not pan or tilt, these cameras are stackable, i.e., you can stack two of them to capture two different angles from the same spot. It is worth noting that the Wyze Cam is only compatible with the 2. 4GHz WiFi network and does not support 5GHz Wi-Fi or the Apple (iOS) and Android mobile devices. Making up for the above mentioned flaws, it features night vision that lets you see up to 30’ in absolute darkness using four infrared (IR) LED’s.
IR does not work through glass windows, so make sure to position the camera in a spot without a glass blocking the angle. This product only provides maximum security and safety for your pup for when you want to have an extra piece of mind. Being able to monitor them while you’re running errands can keep you from getting anxious.
Zesty Paws Calming Bites for Dogs
- A natural formula for anxiety – Zesty Paws Calming Bites are turkey flavored chewable supplements with natural and organic ingredients that help dogs with nervous, anxious, or aggressive behaviors feel calm and comfortable.
- Features Suntheanine – These calming treats contain 30mg of Suntheanine per chew, which is a pure and GRAS-designated form of L-Theanine that helps stimulate brain waves to promote relaxation with no drowsy effect.
- Helps with hyperactive & aggressive behavior – Each chew contains Thiamine and Organic Chamomile, which act as a relaxer that can help reduce jumping, biting, and barking from dogs that display aggressive or hyper active tendencies.
- Soothes anxieties – This Calming Bites supplement may encourage natural anti-anxiety relief for a thunderstorm, fireworks, car rides, or separation anxiety.
- Advanced complex of proven ingredients – These treats contain Organic Ginger Root, L-Tryptophan, and Organic Passion Flower to help minimize outbursts, while Valerian Root reduces scratching, restlessness, paw licking, and chewing.
- Natural and organic ingredients
- Promotes relaxation with no drowsy effect.
- Soothes anxieties.
- Melatonin content make pups sleepy
- Gassy effect
- Does not smell appetizing
The turkey flavored Zesty Paws Calming Bites are chewable supplements with natural and organic ingredients that can help any pup with nervous, anxious, or aggressive behaviors to feel comfy and calm.
These calming bites can also help address hyperactive & aggressive behaviors. Thiamine and organic chamomile act as a relaxant to reduce barking, jumping and even biting, and can even encourage natural anti-anxiety reliefs for thunderstorms, fireworks, car rides, or separation anxiety. It also has a handful of other benefits.
The gaseous effects and its unappetizing smell can easily be made up for by all the amazing benefits of these chewable supplements. Crating already offers anxiety relief, but these chews will be most handy during crate training, or if there are stimuli that cannot be helped where a crate cover cannot be made available.
West Paw Zogoflex Hurley Chew Toy
- DURABLE DOG BONES FOR AGGRESSIVE CHEWERS: If your pampered pooch is an aggressive chewer, then you’ll love the durable shapeand bouncy, floatable material of the West Paw Zogoflex Hurley Dog Bone Chew Toy.
- DOG BONE FOR WATER OR LAND: This durable dog bone chew toy is floatable and perfect for playing catch or fetch while in the water or on land.
- SAFE ALTERNATIVE TO WOOD STICKS: It’s natural for dogs to want to carry wood sticks around the yard, but this dog bone chew toy is a safer alternative for pups and senior dogs who love to gnaw.
- RECYCLABLE PET TOYS: Not only do these dog bones feature bright colors to easily spot inside or out, each dog chew toy is non-toxic, recyclable and Made in USA.
- DISHWASHER SAFE DOG TOYS: Easily clean this dog bone chew toy for chase and fetch games by adding it to the top rack of your dishwasher. This floatable dog bone comes with a manufacturer 100% guarantee against damage.
- Durable bones for aggressive chewers
- Safe alternative to wood sticks
- Dishwasher safe
- These bones are quite heavy and hit hard when they bounce back
- Since these are too hard, they may damage the teeth if pup cannot chew just as hard
- Can pick up hair and dust pretty quickly
A durable and sturdy dog bone chew, West Paw Zogoflex is tough enough for an aggressive chewer, such as huskies and similar dog breeds. The bone chew ensures long term consumption because it can be “indestructible”.
Moreover, these bone chews are dishwasher safe and made from only safe materials. It has made for a durable chew toy for a small terrier with an amazing bite capability, which raises our hopes really high for this product.
As always the bone chew should be used under supervision, even when your pup stays in a crate. Check up on your pup’s teeth from time to time and ensure they have not, or do not swallow a big chunk. For a large, heavy chewer, these bone chews offer relief from anxiety and a chance to get their chewing instincts on the move.
Dog crates should never be used as a part of, if not the main punishment for your pup. Giving them the guarantee that their crate is there to offer positive reinforcements and a place for calm, anxiety-free, comfy and cozy rest, playtime and simple hanging out helps a great deal in better crate behavior.
It should be their refuge, but before getting there, you must be ready for a lengthy, patience-requiring training that might be too difficult for you if you plan to face it unprepared. We hope we gave you a considerable amount of insight on where to start, what to expect, and how to better handle crate training. It might sound impossible at first, but will always, 100% give you excellent results.